Camping.info and SageData Case Study
With more than 23,000 campsites across 44 European countries, camping.info, is the most popular online guide to campsites in the German-speaking world. Their website, printed guides and apps help campers find sites and plan their perfect camping holidays. The team is made up of passionate campers that work hard to improve the camping.info platform. In addition to providing information about all sorts of European destinations, they also encourage a lively exchange of experiences among the large and growing community of campers and outdoor fans.
Camping.info was struggling to work with disparate data sets across multiple platforms. There was no unified view of the business. Team members were lost in combining different databases and data sources in order to have a complete view of the business.
- ✗ time-consuming – high amount of manual transfer of data, as well as comparing sources and trying to find news/most accurate data source
- ✗ ETLs (Extract, Transform, Load) – not existing ETLs practices, in order to take data from one system, transform it, and load it into the organization’s data warehouse
- ✗ data pipelines – lack of pipelines for automated transfer of data from one system to another
- ✗ lack of unified dashboard data source – existence of multiple dashboards and reports, each one focusing on same metrics from different data source
- ✗ data quality – A best-of-breed technology approach coupled with the integration of acquisitions resulted in numerous data conventions and a need to manually replicate data across multiple databases, which contributed to the degradation of data quality.
The decentralized data management caused inaccuracy of data, especially when the data was provided manually. Furthermore, due to the numerous data sources, Camping.info was losing sight of valuable data set, by simply not spotting them due to large amounts of different sources.
Clarifying and aligning all important metrics and KPIs together with the management team was one of the first tasks of SageData’s team. We defined which metrics were crucial to understanding and driving Camping.info’s business and their position in the market environment.
- SageData data engineers have combined all of the data and connected it together
- We deployed a dedicated DWH (data warehouse) with proper Data Architecture, with automated data management pipelines.
- SageData analysts then added transformations to calculate the KPIs and Metrics important to the management and teams.
- Our platform was deployed not only to combine and transform data, but also to monitor data accuracy and detect anomalies in the data.
SageData deployed an intelligent BI platform for Camping.info with multiple integrations, part of SageData’s platform.
Furthermore, we have created unified monthly and weekly reports, which were updated and refreshed multiple times a day. This allowed each team to create a clear view of their business and their goals. Each department received distinctive dashboards, focusing on their unique activities and needs.
Our best work in Data Stories
KPIs and Metrics, North Star, Trends, Budgets and Forecasting, we do it all. SageData team helps you collect data, transform it and create insightful reports.
Marketing Attribution and Customer Journey Analytics. SageData team helps you collect data, transform it and create insightful reports.
Sales reports can group the revenue by geography, product, customer segment. Great for companies who started to expand into new markets
Finance metrics show overall health of the company and compare trends to the budgets and forecasts.
Results achieved for Camping.info with SageData
After implementing all the necessary steps for secure and intelligent data management, Camping Info’s team was able to speed up their processes and increase customer satisfaction. The data enabled more ad hoc analysis that reveals new market opportunities.
Camping.info was able to achieve high data accuracy and finally trust their data, not questioning their numbers, but strongly focusing on their business.
Furthermore, management had a more clear view of how the company was acting vs. their target budget. All teams were able to reach sooner and faster when they saw indicators for underperformance. We were able to save hundreds and hundreds of management hours, spent on analyzing different complicated and sometimes inaccurate dashboards, just by automating reports and data processing.
Unlock the value of your data
At SageData you always own your data, we help you make sense of it